Satellite positioning and navigation
Theoretical and model strengthening of future GNSS to yield improved geospatial information for tomorrow's society
Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSSs) will be used by hundreds of millions of people worldwide. However, high-precision and high-integrity applications remain hindered by inadequate parameter estimation and weakness in the models presently used. This broad-ranging program will improve the integer-estimation and strengthen models for integrated GNSSs, thus making them ever more reliable than ever in the many high-precision scientific applications in which they are used (eg., Earth, atmospheric and space science). These developments will also be implemented to deliver improved accuracy and reliability in GNSS positioning and navigation for the wider community.
The National Collaborative Research Infrastructure Strategy (NCRIS), through AuScope Geospatial , will establish over 100 CORS (continuously operating GNSS – global navigation satellite system – reference stations) across Australia . Approximately one third of the $65 million AuScope budget is allocated to install and maintain a CORS network. Through the Cooperative Research Centre for Spatial Information, we are determining the optimal way to select the best location and distribution of CORS sites to support as-many-as-possible scientific and commercial users of the new geodetic network.
- Amiri-Simkooei. A. R., C. C. Tiberius. and P. Teunissen (2008) Noise characteristics in high precision GPS positioning, in VI Hotine-Marussi Symposium on theoretical and computational geodesy, eds. P. Xu., J. Liu. and A. Dermanis. 280-286. Springer: Berlin, Germany.
- El-Mowafy, A. (2008) Improving the performance of RTK-GPS reference networks for positioning in the airborne mode, Navigation: Journal of the Institute of Navigation, 55(3): 215-224.
- Odijk, D. and P. Teunissen (2008) ADOP in closed form for a hierarchy of multi-frequency single-baseline GNSS models, Journal of Geodesy, 82(8): 473-492.
- Teunissen, P. (2008) A general multivariate formulation of the multi-antenna GNSS attitude determination problem, Artificial Satellites, 42(4): 97-111.
- Odijk, D. and P. Teunissen (2008) Sensitivity of ADOP to changes in the single-baseline GNSS model, Artificial Satellites, 42(2): 71-95.
- Teunissen, P. and S. Verhagen (2008) GNSS ambiguity resolution: when and how to fix or not to fix, in VI Hotine-Marussi Symposium on theoretical and computational geodesy, eds. P. Xu., J. Liu. and A. Dermanis. 280-286. Springer: Berlin, Germany.